The organic makeup industry has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past few years. As people continue to become more eco-friendly and health conscious, more and more companies are formulating their products with natural and organic ingredients
As time goes on, organic makeup products are getting better and better. Once upon a time, the colors were poorly pigmented and the choices were few. Not anymore. Whether you are looking to detox your skin from chemicals or are just seeking a greener lifestyle, there are many great organic makeup options. There is confusion, though, about how organic makeup is different.
How is organic makeup different from traditional makeup?
- Organic makeup is made using plant-based or mineral-derived ingredients. Most traditional makeups are derived from synthetic ingredients created in a laboratory. Petroleum-derived ingredients are often found in traditional cosmetics products. They are not used in most organic products.
- The way the products are tinted also differs. Synthetic dyes and colorants are often used in makeup. Organic makeup is dyed with fruit pigments, natural iron oxides and mica powder.
- Organic makeup is not preserved with chemical preservatives such as parabens or phenoxyethanol. It is gently preserved with plant-based ingredients such as Japanese Honeysuckle Extract, grapefruit seed extract, or using antioxidants such as Vitamin E or rosemary oleoresin.
- The way an organic makeup product is scented also differs. Traditional makeup uses artificial fragrances to scent everything from lipstick to blush. Natural essential oils are used to give organic makeup it scent.
- Organic makeup is cruelty free. Many major brands of makeup still engage in animal testing. Organic makeup is cruelty free, meaning it is not tested on animals. In many cases it is Vegan, meaning that there are no animal ingredients used.
- There are even differences in the makeup brushes used by organic beauty brands. Traditional brands often use boar, goat, pony or even sable hair for the bristles. Organic brands use synthetic elements and the handles are usually sustainable bamboo.
Organic cosmetic options
If you are looking for organic makeup today, what are your best options? There are many fabulous mineral based foundations, concealers, blushes, lip glosses and even mascaras on the market. Here are some of our tried and tested favorites: